Stop. GRAMMY time.
Shall we begin with Lady Gaga’s entrance by egg? Or perhaps make mention of her shoulder zits? Then there’s Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony’s uncomfortably terse stage banter. And let’s not forget Arcade Fire’s amazing upset for Album of the Year. So much to discuss! Maybe we’ll just let the folks at Best Week Ever handle all the GRAMMY highlights.
James Earl Jones recites Justin Bieber lyrics
Not to be outdone by Gordon Pinsent, actor James Earl Jones dug deep to bring some emotional resonance to Bieber’s Baby on The Gayle King Show. How will fans react to this treatment of the Bieber canon? If it’s anything like their outrage over Biebs losing the Best New Artist GRAMMY to Esperanza Spalding, JEJ better guard his Wikipedia page.
Beyoncé and Jay-Z headed towards the big D?
Could there be trouble in HOVA-ville? A new report claims that Jay-Z and Beyonce Knowles have agreed to a trial separation due to marital discord. The point of contention: Beyoncé’s uterus. JayZ wants to put a little jigga in there, Beyoncé is less than crazy in love with that idea.
David LaChapelle sues Rihanna
Being banned in eleven countries was an inauspicious start for Rihanna’s S&M video. Now the singer is being sued by celebrity photographer David LaChapelle, who claims the video copied eight of his images. Is Rihanna perfectly good at being bad after all? Looks like a judge will decide.
- Rihanna adds Cee Lo Green to tour dates
- Born This Way becomes 1,000th Billboard chart-topper
- Billy Ray scared for Miley
- Is “Born This Way” a rip-off off Madonna’s “Express Yourself”?
- Willow Smith and Lady Gaga get cozy at GRAMMYS
- Soundgarden recording new album
- Breaking news: Billy Ray Cyrus & Kurt Cobain were buds
- Weezer covers State Farm jingle
Bjork holds three-day karaoke protest
Everyone’s got their own way of protesting. Some people stage sit-ins, some people march, some people change their Facebook profile photo. Bjork”she sings. Along with tens of thousands of people. The Icelandic artist held a three-day karaoke contest in Reykjavik to protest a Canadian company’s planned takeover of Iceland’s HS Orka power plant. More than 45,000 people have signed a petition asking the government to reconsider its stance on the takeover. Which is really impressive, but we think sending the government a singing telegram, maybe wearing this, might be more fitting.
Black Keys want to take Tegan and Sara out
Indie cupid has plunged his arrow in none other than the Black Keys. In an interview with Spinner, drummer Patrick Carney says he and singer/guitarist Dan Auerbach want to take Canadian duo Tegan and Sara out on a date. The location? None other than Canadian donut franchise Tim Hortons. The problem? Oh, nothing. Except maybe the fact that their dates are lesbians. That’s all.
Grown man gets Justin Bieber tattooed on his thigh
To repeat, a “Grown Man” got a tattoo of Justin Bieber on his thigh.
He’s ¦ a grownup. With a tattoo of a 16-year-old hearthrob. On his thigh. Forever.
We have no words.
Kanye asks for a cover that would be outlawed
In an interview with The New Yorker, artist George Condo lets it slip that Kanye West asked him to create an album cover that would be banned for My Beautiful, Dark, Twisted Fantasy. Which makes it especially poignant that no one banned it. West even tried to kindle some controversy by falsely accusing Walmart of banning his album. No dice. Guess My Beautiful, Dark, Twisted Fantasy will go down in history as having the most banal cover of all time. Sorry Yeezy!
T.I. lands in hot water after getting frisky with his wife
T.I. and his wife didn’t keep their hands where guards could see them during a supervised visit at the big house this week. The overly amorous pair had their visit cut short after prison staff spotted them getting a little too feely. T.I. was moved to tighter security housing as punishment for the offense. Hopefully one with cold showers.
- Britney Spears’ Hold It Against Me breaks radio record
- Jewel is pregnant
- Muse frontman Matthew Bellamy and Kate Hudson having a bay-bay
- Vanilla Ice breaks silence on Madonna fling
- Trent Reznor to score Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
- B.I.G. murder case is being reopened, 13 years after his death
- Salt-N-Pepa to tour with Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh
- Nicki Minaj joins Joan Rivers for Fashion Police
- Florence & The Machine to collaborate with Drake
- Eminem to star in two movies
- Crosby Stills & Nash part ways with Rick Rubin/Columbia
- Steven Tyler pages Joe Perry via Rolling Stone
New Muppets film to feature Lady Gaga, Jack Black, Dave Grohl
Last time we saw the Muppets, they were busy reuniting Gonzo with his alien family in Muppets From Space. Who knows what sort of crazy capers they’ll undertake in the new Muppets movie, currently in production. What we do know is that Jason Segel wrote the script and Dave Grohl, Jack Black, Lady Gaga and Ricky Gervais will all reportedly make an appearance. Grohl will step in for Animal behind the drum kit. No word on what role Gaga will be playing. Our guesses are either Janice’s long lost sister or a Kermit-obsessed version of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs.
Amy Winehouse nets $1.55 million for private concert
Amy Winehouse delivered a two-hour private performance to Russian businessmen”her first full singing gig in two years. The price tag? A cool $1.55 million. One member of the crowd called her performance fantastic. They drink a lot of vodka in Russia, right? Just asking.
Captain Beefheart dies
Captain Beefheart, an influential icon of the ˜60s psychedelic scene, died from complications of multiple sclerosis this week. He was 69. Beefheart, born Don Van Vliet, garnered attention for the often eccentric, always innovative rock he created with his Magic Band, a rotating roster of musicians. Beefheart spent his later years as a reclusive painter in California. R.I.P.
Kings of Leon’s tour bus catches on fire
Kings of Leon had to cancel their concert at London’s O2 arena on Tuesday after two tour buses caught fire in the loading area of the venue and were burned out completely. Six people were treated for smoke inhalation. No word on the source of the inferno, but reportedly the band’s sex is on fire, so you do the math.
Lady Gaga bites head off Santa
Ozzy Osbourne will forever live in infamy for once biting the head off a bat in concert. Now Lady Gaga has her own tale of stage carnage to add to her legacy. At a show in London last Friday, a fan threw a stuffed Santa Claus doll onto the stage. Gaga responded by biting into its neck while shouting, I hate the holidays. I’m alone and miserable you fucking stuffed little toy. After beheading St. Nick with the heel of her shoe, the singer resumed her performance. And that, little children, is how Santa Claus died.
- Justin Bieber to collaborate with Rascal Flatts on next album
- Two founding members of Paramore quit
- Billy Idol, Sebastian Bach, Juliette Lewis conclude Camp Freddy L.A. residency
- Bjork scores tribute to Alexander McQueen
- Phish to stream NYE concert on Pay-Per-View
- Madonna looking for producers to make music with
- Robert Plant to play Telluride Bluegrass
- DMX going to jail
- Lil Wayne to headline Bamboozle
- Mariah Carey pregnant with twins
- George Clinton suing Black Eyed Peas
- Badly Drawn Boy apologizes for tirade
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame winners announced
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced its selection for 2011 inductees this week. Those who made the cut: Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, Dr. John and Darlene Love. Eligible nominees like Bon Jovi will have to live on a prayer for another year.
OK Go lead GPS parade around Los Angeles
For their latest video caper OK Go took to the streets with their fans, friend and total strangers for a parade along a 8.5-mile route in LA. But not just any route, a route that spelled out OK Go using the Range Rover’s Pulse of the City App. Check it out below.
Remember when Miley Cyrus was busted smoking salvia out of bong?
Scandal erupted last week when a video emerged showing Miley Cyrus smoking the legal herb salvia out of a bong. Billy Ray Cyrus poured out his achy breaky heart on Twitter, and the blogosphere erupted in posts about Miley going bad. This week Miley was spotted partying on the town in New Orleans with Kelly Osbourne. See guys, nothing to worry about!
Fans outraged over documentary on Michael Jackson’s autopsy
A documentary called Michael Jackson’s Autopsy: What Really Killed Michael Jackson is scheduled to air next month in the United Kingdom on the Discovery Channel, enraging some of the King of Pop’s fans. Because the show’s medical examiners don’t have access to Jackson’s actual body, an anatomically correct synthetic cadaver will be used to demonstrate the autopsy instead. Fans cried foul, saying Jackson should be allowed a minimum of decency and respect. We cry foul for that reason, and cause face it, the thought of a naked Michael Jackson cadaver is kind of foul.
- TRON Legacy soundtrack hits #10 on Billboard
- Darren Criss sings entire Rolling Stone interview
- Scissor Sisters debut trippy Invisible Light video on Pitchfork
- Ke$ha sings Dead Flowers with no Autotune
- New Pornographers remind fans of oil spill, Katrina in Oxfam video
- Yoko Ono recreates War Is Over poster in 100 languages … if you want it
- Jack White will perform with Wanda Jackson in January
- Duff McKagan and wife strip down for PETA ads
- Paul McCartney performs Give Peace a Chance on SNL
- Coldplay to release concept album in 2011
- Denise Richards dating Nikki Sixx
Thom Yorke building massive human statue to fight climate change
Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke is looking to recruit 2,000 volunteers to build a massive human statue to fight climate change this weekend. The statue will fight climate change by punching the clouds with its 4,000 fists. OK, not really. It’s more of a symbolic fight. Yorke’s human statue is one of 16 planned around the world to be photographed by a satellite from space. The event will raise awareness around the United Nations’ meeting in Cancun, Mexico, to discuss an international climate treaty.
Arcade Fire and Spike Jonze unite for The Suburbs video
Arcade Fire has released their video for The Suburbs, and it’s not a cheery tale of Bed, Bath & Beyond and Applebee’s. The video is directed by Spike Jonze, and, much like his work in Where The Wild Things Are, combines youth, nostalgia, and unexpected violence. Watch it below.
Quincy Jones gives Kanye West the big diss
Don’t tell Quincy Jones that he has anything in common with Kanye West. Them’s fighting words. In an interview with Us Magazine, Jones responded to the observation that he and West are both hugely successful producers with total disdain. No way. Did he write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on man, he’s just a rapper. West has yet to respond to this ego bruise publicly, but if Twitter suddenly explodes, you’ll know why.
Kings of Leon looking for ugly people
Calling all pockmarked, scarred and sundry busted people! Kings of Leon are looking for individuals with physical deformities for their next video shoot. Has anyone ever made a joke about your face breaking their camera? Do horses whinny when you pass by? Capitalize on your plainness”the band is paying $300 a day. Uh ¦ are they sure this isn’t the video for Use Somebody?
- Beatles sell 450,000 albums and 2 million singles worldwide on iTunes
- Black Eyed Peas get pixilated in The Time (The Dirty Bit) video
- Courtney Love sued for lost jewelry
- Lady Gaga gets Anderson Cooper to drink
- Joan Baez falls out of treehouse
- Ray Davies cancels US tour
- Nikki Sixx hits 50th radio affiliate mark
- Mark David Chapman’s autographed Lennon album up for auction
- Wayne Coyne calls for the end of puppy mills
- Akon says new Lady Gaga album is crazy and amazing
- Owl City writes another sappy song called Peppermint Winter
- AMA winners and performances
Alexandria Maillot is far from an ordinary teenager. Unless you consider graduation at 16, followed by music awards, performances overseas, songwriting credits on gold-selling records, and spot in Oprah’s Search for the World’s Smartest and Most Talented Kids ordinary. Think of her as a more grounded version of Miley Cyrus”an artist blessed with an equally powerful voice, a pretty face, but more likely to spend her free time volunteering with charities than trolling the streets in minuscule jean shorts. Hope and the power of positive thinking are common themes in Maillot’s songcraft. All We Need is a mercurial little number that segues from a doleful piano intro to a sailing power pop chorus. The message may be sappy but it’s sweet: You’re all good as long as you have a hand to hold. Revolution is soulful pop with a percolating bass line, where Maillot invites her fellow youth to rebuild society. If all the feel-goodness makes you queasy, put on Confession for a sexier, edgier kiss-off. Maillot is wholesome, sure. But she’s not squeaky clean. And in that one regard, she’s a completely ordinary teen.
Gordon Pinsent reads excerpts from Justin Bieber memoir
Get your LOLs right here, folks. First up, a memoir written by a 16-year-old. Ha! And, it’s entitled First Step 2 Forever. The laughs don’t end there. Here’s a video of the esteemed actor Gordon Pinsent doing a dramatic reading of Justin Bieber’s riveting tome. Enjoy”we did.
Alicia Keys gives birth to Egypt
Not the country! That would be sooo 3150 BC. Alicia Keys and husband Swizz Beatz (born Kasseem Dean) welcomed a baby boy this week named Egypt Dauode Dean. May he grow up to become a very successful pharaoh.
Glastonbury Festival shelved for 2012 due to toilet shortage
We wouldn’t wish more port-a-potties on anyone, but this does give us pause. England’s Glastonbury Festival has been canceled for 2012 due to the Olympics taking place in London that same year ¦ and the ensuing toilet shortage. Athletes are such loo-sers.
Kanye’s album cover art banned? He wishes.
Kanye West is a legend in his own mind. But he may also be a victim in his own mind as well. The rapper griped on his Twitter page that Wal-mart had censored the cover art for his upcoming album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Tweeted the rapper: So Nirvana can have a naked human being on they [sic] cover but I can’t have a PAINTING of a monster with no arms and a polka dot tail and wings. Oh the injustice! Is it too much to ask for a man to be left in peace with his armless polka dot monster? IS SOCIETY SO INTOLERANT”what’s that? Wal-mart didn’t censor the cover? Oh. Uh, never mind. As you were.
Cantankerous singer pegs bottle at Mumford and Sons
Mark E. Smith of the band The Falls was getting ready for his set at a Dublin music festival when a terrible caterwauling struck his ears. Next door, the hugely successful English folk band, Mumford and Sons, was warming up. I just thought they were a load of retarded Irish folk singers, Smith explains. So, understandably, he threw a bottle at them to encourage them to silence their plaintive yawping. The bottle fell short of its target and Mumford and Sons went on to sell one trillion records.
- Robyn releases Bodytalk Pt. 3 cover and track list
- Lil Wayne hits Number 1 with I am Not A Human Being
- Kanye West screens Runaway for US fans
- Caleb Followill guest judges on Iron Chef
- Stereophonics drummer dies in a terrible way
- Ben Gibbard and Zooey Deschanel perform at a Seattle Mariners game
- Willow Smith releases Whip My Hair video
- MTV can’t tell the difference between Black Eyed Peas and Black Keys
- Lady Gaga tweets about studio sessions in Norway
- There is a band named Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
T.I. helps talk down jumper in Atlanta
T.I.’s getting a head start on the community service he may face for his parole violation last month. The rapper helped police talk down a suicidal jumper from a 22-story high rise in Atlanta on Monday afternoon, arriving on the scene after hearing about the incident on the radio. Using his gift of persuasion (and rhyming?), the rapper was able to coax the man down, who was then taken to the hospital. Moral of the story: Great things can happen when you put down the sizzurp.
American Music Awards nominations announced
Slim Shady is poised come home with more trophies than Lady Gaga at this year’s AMAs. Eminem is nominated for five awards along with country act Lady Antebellum. Lady Gaga will have to make do with her Artist of the Year and Best Female Artist nominations. And we will have to make do with our nomination for nothing.
Help determine who will be the winner by casting your vote here:
Adam Lambert’s Malaysian concert protested
He kissed a boy, and he liked it ¦ but Malaysia didn’t. Pop star Adam Lambert has been asked to alter the content of his upcoming performance in Malaysia amid protests from the Pan Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS), who claimed the show promotes a gay lifestyle. Lambert responded to that claim via Twitter, saying, Does my show ˜promote the gay lifestyle’? It promotes living ANY lifestyle that includes the freedom to seek love and intimacy. Gay, straight, bi, young or old. It’s all inclusive. That said, Lambert promised to put his lips on lockdown for the show.
Die Antwoord versus Bristol Palin
In one corner we have South African freak rappers Die Antwoord and their new video for Evil Boy. In the other, Bristol Palin in a video by Alaskan hard rock group Static Cycle. What’s creepier”an albino girl in a cloak of rats, or Bristol Palin dressed like a Russian pretending to be Mother Nature? You tell us.
- Lady Gaga gets a comic book
- Rihanna debuts Only Girl In The World video
- Christina Aguilera splits from husband
- Weezer wants $20 million to break up
- Beyoncé surprises Hoda on Today show
- Matador celebrates 21 years as a label
- Cobain anti-MTV letter up for auction
- Ke$ha to release Cannibal Nov. 22nd
- George Michael released from jail
- Ciara dances better than you in Gimme Dat video
- Miley Cyrus gets underage sexy in Who Owns My Heart video
- Eminem profile on 60 Minutes airs November 7
- Nicki Minaj breaks record for female rappers on Billboard
- Rye Rye and M.I.A. get happy in Sunshine video