As breaking news of the day goes, it’s not exactly groundbreaking. Still, there it was, in multiple variations, splattered across the online pages of E!, Us Weekly, Entertainment Weekly (which called it a hair break-over), People magazine and so many other websites devoted, in large and small part, to such trivialities. You’d think Samson had risen from the dead and taken up guitar.
But wait! Shouldn’t Delilah ” I mean, Katy Perry ” have been the star of this life (and a new ˜do)-after-love story? Traditionally, the celebrity tabloids and gossip websites pursue female celebrities about whom they date, whom they marry, whom they divorce, to search for baby bumps, and fashion dos and don’ts. Guys generally get in only when they’re dating one of them. (Why do you think Nickelback singer Chad Kroeger, who once went from long to short without causing so much as a media ripple and is now engaged to Avril Lavigne, is suddenly “newsworthy”?)
By those standards, John Mayer must be some kind of publicity-baiting genius. In the last several years, he’s made himself as much of a tabloid fixture as an A-list starlet by dating a succession of them: Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Aniston, Taylor Swift, and most recently, Katy Perry, his pop-star paramour of a few months. (more…)
- Joe Jonas naked in a hotel room with a girl [in his new music video] makes us feel like pervs.
- This might be why your throat is always sore, Adele.
- St. Vincent/David Byrne collabo moving along nicely.
- Hey, we know him!
- Soulja Boy tells ‘em “sorry”.
- Blink 182 makes us nostalgic with “After Midnight”.
- A song about SoundCloud… posted on SoundCloud.
- New Order reunites… sort of.
- Britney Spears leaks the “most exciting song in many, many years”
- Potheads unite: Snoop Dogg, Willie Nelson, Wiz Khalifa collab
- Ex-Alice In Chains bassist chained up for drug possession
- Adele jumps 46 spots, gives The Beatles a run for their money
- The Strokes to release another song March 1, excuse us while we scream like little girls
- Ex-Stereophonics drummer’s widow leads crusade against “vodka diet”
- James Franco and Mila Kunis are off to see the Wizard
- Red Hot Chili Peppers’ working title for new album inspired by a “friend’s” acid trip. Sure.
- The most musical baby ever has been born
- Arcade Fire continues to take over the world
- New Kanye video inspired by some French dude. Who knew?
- Ashley Greene responds to boyfriend Joe Jonas’ birthday gift with screams
- How does Eminem outdo the “Love The Way You Lie” video? By casting a porn star of course.
- Kanye and Drake crash the All-Star Game, Rihanna doesn’t wear pants
- Music exec talks shit about the GRAMMYs. In the New York freakin’ Times.
Following her record-breaking rack up of eight MTV VMA’s for her single “Bad Romance” and collaboration with Beyoncé on “Telephone,” Lady Gaga gave fans a taste of what’s to come when she belted out lyrics to her future single, “Born This Way” at the podium: “I’m beautiful in my way, because God makes no mistakes, I’m on the right track, baby I was born this way.” The reigning Queen of Pop was escorted by three discharged US soldiers to her big night, a move made to raise awareness for the repeal of the controversial Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy employed by the US armed forces. There’s no mistaking the pointed message of the song, but was it also a call to action to her fellow superstars?
It comes at the heels of a national string of gay suicides, most recently Tyler Clementi, the 18-year-old Rutgers student who leapt to his death after his roommate used a webcam to film him having homosexual sex. Clementi’s suicide was the fourth time in four weeks that gay youth suicide made headlines, prompting big reactions from some serious stars.
Ellen DeGeneres, Cyndi Lauper, Wendy Williams, Aubrey O’Day, Ke$ha, Ashley Tisdale, Leanne Rimes, Jason Derulo, Joe Jonas, Jewel and Eve are just a few of the stars who have lent their time and their stories in personal video messages directed at teens struggling with their sexuality and its harsh repercussions. Also reportedly in the works is a special episode of hit show, Glee that will broach the subject of bullying and tolerance.
Rumors are swirling that Pink, this year’s recipient of the Ally For Equality Award at the Human Rights Campaign’s 14th annual National Dinner in Washington, DC, will actually marry a gay couple in her next video, Raise Your Glass.
With today being National Coming Out Day, it seems that finally, the art reflects the time and artists and fans are uniting to be heard.
Cortney Wills is a pop culture journalist born and raised in Los Angeles, California. She has lived in LA, Chicago and NYC and enjoys all things entertainment.
2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced
Champagne’s a flowin’ at the homes of Bon Jovi, Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, LL Cool J and Dr. John, who among others, were all nominated into the 2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this week. The induction ceremony will take place on March 14th in Cleveland, Ohio. We would like an Alice Cooper/Neil Diamond duet please ¦ to whoever is taking requests.
Joe Jonas is ridin’ solo
Following in his little bro’s footsteps, or maybe heeding the advice of Jason Derülo, Joe Jonas announced plans to record a solo all by himself. Something with a sexier, Justin Timberlake vibe, says the Middle One. Sexier than Camp Rock? Can it be done? We’ll all find out in 2011¦
Mariah Carey falls in Singapore
If you’re gonna fall, fall with class. Like Mariah Carey, who took a tumble in Singapore but smiled the whole way down. Then things got a little more diva-ish when Carey yelled for her assistant to come help her take her shoes off while the band kept playing Make It Happen. Check it out below.
Katy Perry avenges her Sesame Street snub
On SNL this past weekend, Katy Perry avenged her Sesame Street-banned bust by donning a low-cut Elmo t-shirt and bouncing around on a sofa. Those muppets must be seeing red!
MC Hammer starts beef with Jay Z
This would be funny if it weren’t so sad. Back story: On Kanye West’s song So Appalled, Jay-Z delivers a line about blowing through $30,000 like Hammer. Well, Mr. MC Hammer was none too pleased about that, and responded on Twitter by linking to a video of himself beating up a punching bag. You want my attention [Jigga] you got it. Punch, punch, punch. It’s all kind of embarrassing and feeble, but we’ll play along. Please Hammer, don’t hurt him!
- Kanye West to drop new album on 11/22
- Pete Doherty busted for cocaine possession
- Daft Punk’s Tron Legacy soundtrack drops 11/22
- MGMT drummer gets hit in head by thrown object, walks off stage
- Lady Gaga’s grandfather passes away from Parkinson’s
- Peaches brings Peaches Christ Superstar to North America
- Jimmy Eat World new album Invented released
- John Legend and the Roots cover Arcade Fire
- Kid Cudi pleads guilty to possessing a jar (!) of cocaine
- Wyclef Jean hospitalized for exhaustion
- Bruce Springsteen photo bombs couple’s engagement shoot
- M.I.A. to play free show at Brooklyn Bowl
Lourdes Leon launches Material Girl blog
Lourdes Leon and her somewhat famous mother are launching a fashion line together. It’s called Material Girl, naturally. Leon introduced the line with a blog entry that is as adorable as one might expect from an excited 13-year-old. I am totally obsessivo [sic] about ˜80s shorts ¦ you know the kind that makes your butt look kinda big, she says. Look out Women’s Wear Daily”we’ve got a fashion writer on our hands. Leon goes on to extol the greatness of My Chemical Romance (They are so awesome it hurts) and reveal that come October and her 14th birthday, she’ll finally get to dye her hair (THANK YOU MOTHER!!) The blog entry is richly rewarding “ take a look at it here.
Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas subject of badly-timed Teen Vogue cover
Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas’s cover for this month’s Teen Vogue is a mix of denim and awkward. Lovato and Jonas shot the cover and inside photo spread whilst still dating. Alas, their chaste love ended but two days later. Teen scandal! Read the issue and remember the way they were.
Woman buys MJ’s star-studded glove for $190,000
Marking the year anniversary of the King of Pop’s death, $1 million worth of memorabilia went up for auction, including the iconic Swarovski-studded glove Jackson wore on his 1984 Victory Tour. That item alone was expected to fetch between $20,000 and $30,000, but ultimately sold for $190,000 to Wanda Kelly of Los Angeles. Her hand must have looked fierce waving goodbye to all that dough. Hope it was worth it.
Chris Brown cries through MJ tribute performance
During his four-minute dance tribute to Michael Jackson for Sunday night’s BET Awards, Chris Brown broke down in tears and was unable to finish performing his set. And it wasn’t because he lost the auction for the glove. So which song reduced the troubled performer to a sobbing wreck and delivered a big dose of schadenfreude to his haters? Was it (A) The Way You Make Me Feel, (B) Billie Jean or (C) Man in the Mirror? We’ll give you a hint ” it’s C.
- Bret Michaels to replace Simon Cowell?
- Lady Gaga does drag for Vogue Hommes Japan
- Katy Perry and Russell Brand already married?
- Andre 3000 covers Beatles All Together Now for Nike/NBA commercial
- Britney Spears to design clothing line for Candies
- Eminem nabs year’s highest debut for Recovery
- Beta Band bemoans Albarn’s back-to-back headline gigs
- Scotland’s T in the Park bans the dreaded vuvuzela
Ellen starts music label, signs Greyson Chance
OK, remember last week when we made up that big lie about wunderkind Greyson Chance being signed to Interscope? Kidding! Yeah, looks like that was just one of those Internet rumors. Sahhrrry. Chance was actually signed by Ellen DeGeneres ” he’ll be the first artist on her brand new label, Eleven Eleven Records. We’re not sure if Eleven Eleven is actually an imprint of Interscope or an indie, and until we’re sure, we’re not saying a word.
Ludacris builds playground for Atlanta school kids
That Luda, bless his heart. When he’s not going door-to-door reminding people to fill out their Census forms, he’s providing for the children. This past weekend the rapper joined volunteers to help construct a playground for Venetian Hills Elementary School in Atlanta. The charity event was a collaboration between KaBoom ” a national nonprofit that provides play areas to underserved areas ”The Ludacris Foundation, United Healthcare’s Do Good. Live Well campaign and EIF’s iParticipate program. Look, we knew how low he could go, we just never knew he was such do-gooder to boot . Hats off to you, Mr. Bridges.
Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato break up
Sniff. Sad. Moving on ¦
Lady Gaga tested for Lupus
Lady Gaga revealed to the London Times this week that she underwent testing for Lupus after collapsing from exhaustion and cancelling shows in March. But when it comes to the results of those tests, she’s keeping her lips sealed. I don’t want anyone to be worried, she explains. The singer lost an aunt to the disease, which is genetic and causes the body’s immune system to attack itself. Lucky for all of us little monsters, Lady Gaga is superhuman and immortal. That’s our story and we’re sticking to it.
Liza Minnelli sings Single Ladies for SATC2
Looks like Liza Minnelli will be croaking out Beyoncé’s hit in the new Sex and the City movie. According to SATC2 promos, the 64-year-old performer tackles the number during a wedding scene. And, since Minnelli has a brand new replacement knee, maybe she’ll even attempt to do the choreography, too. That would be infinitely better than watching the chicken dance.
Key of Awesome spoof Owl City in Electronic Wuss
Ugly for Owl City, but hilarious for the rest of us. Musical parody group, Key of Awesome, delivered a sonic smackdown to the maudlin vomit that is “Fireflies” with their spoof, Electronic Wuss. Enjoy.
- Kelis and Nas are officially divorced
- Britney has more followers than Ashton
- Justin Bieber and Soulja Boy collaborate on Rich Girl
- Bono recoups after spinal surgery, Gorillaz fill in
- Chris Brown strikes back in Deuces video
- Kelis and Robyn to tour together
- Slipknot bassist Paul Gray dead at 38
- TV on the Radio scores documentary The Lottery
- Mad Men’s Christina Hendricks to appear in new Broken Bells video
iamamiwhoami artist revealed?
Maybe you’ve been following the enigmatic (and fairly disturbing) videos of mystery artist iamamiwhoami on YouTube. If not, do check them out. Most are one-minute vignettes set to alternately ambient and jarring electronic music, featuring a feral blonde woman with freakishly long eyelashes. First guess is Lady Gaga, naturally. Who else would wrap themselves in plastic to play the piano, or lick a tree? Well, looks like there may be another wildly eccentric pop performance artist out there. For the mystery reveal, click here. Check out the video here.
Lady Gaga’s Telephone finally debuts
(And by bad we mean Michael Jackson-style, you know, with dancing thugs, leather and snarls.)
The wait is over for the Lady Gaga and Beyoncé collaborative video for Telephone. For your patience, you get nine-plus minutes of women’s penitentiary sexy times, sandwich making, mass poisonings, multiple costume changes and good ol’ fashioned, Thelma and Louise-style, female camaraderie. (Sweet Beyoncé even swears!) Get an eyeful here¦ and lookout for cigarette sunglasses to become the next big thing.
Alex Chilton dies
The untimely deaths keep coming. This time it’s Alex Chilton, former front man of ’60s pop act the Box Tops and later, Big Star. Chilton died in New Orleans on Wednesday at the age of 59 from what appears to be a heart problem. If you’re unfamiliar with Chilton’s work, we suggest you go to your music source of choice and download “The Letter” by the Box Tops and “September Gurls” by Big Star. Another sad day for music.
Miley Cyrus says a bunch of dumb stuff in Teen Vogue
Oh Miley. The soundbites from your latest interview are like potent little vitamins to fortify all your haters. When you’re not dissing the public at large by declaring you and your boyfriend’s superiority (I think we’re both deeper than normal people, what they think and how they feel,) then you’re contradicting yourself. Exhibit A: The more I make music that doesn’t truly inspire me, the more I feel like I’m blending in with everyone else. So after this next album, I’m taking some time off.” Exhibit B: I don’t really believe in breaks. Once you figure it out, let us know. We’ll have to make do in the meantime with our shallow thoughts and feelings.
- Ludacris hits Number 1 on Billboard with Battle of the Sexes
- Did Britney Spears and boyfriend un-break up?
- Jessica Simpson debuts The Price of Beauty on VH1
- Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato reveal their (chaste) love
- Jay-Z and Jack White to record together
- Michel Gondry and Bjork team up for project
- David Byrne and St. Vincent to collaborate
- Nas and Damian Marley to release collaborative album
- Ted Leo wants to rule the world
- Daft Punk, Feist, Cat Power, Vampire Weekend, Grizzly Bear auction goods for Haiti relief