As breaking news of the day goes, it’s not exactly groundbreaking. Still, there it was, in multiple variations, splattered across the online pages of E!, Us Weekly, Entertainment Weekly (which called it a hair break-over), People magazine and so many other websites devoted, in large and small part, to such trivialities. You’d think Samson had risen from the dead and taken up guitar.
But wait! Shouldn’t Delilah ” I mean, Katy Perry ” have been the star of this life (and a new ˜do)-after-love story? Traditionally, the celebrity tabloids and gossip websites pursue female celebrities about whom they date, whom they marry, whom they divorce, to search for baby bumps, and fashion dos and don’ts. Guys generally get in only when they’re dating one of them. (Why do you think Nickelback singer Chad Kroeger, who once went from long to short without causing so much as a media ripple and is now engaged to Avril Lavigne, is suddenly “newsworthy”?)
By those standards, John Mayer must be some kind of publicity-baiting genius. In the last several years, he’s made himself as much of a tabloid fixture as an A-list starlet by dating a succession of them: Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Aniston, Taylor Swift, and most recently, Katy Perry, his pop-star paramour of a few months. (more…)
- Joe Jonas naked in a hotel room with a girl [in his new music video] makes us feel like pervs.
- This might be why your throat is always sore, Adele.
- St. Vincent/David Byrne collabo moving along nicely.
- Hey, we know him!
- Soulja Boy tells ’em “sorry”.
- Blink 182 makes us nostalgic with “After Midnight”.
- A song about SoundCloud… posted on SoundCloud.
- New Order reunites… sort of.
- Britney Spears leaks the “most exciting song in many, many years”
- Potheads unite: Snoop Dogg, Willie Nelson, Wiz Khalifa collab
- Ex-Alice In Chains bassist chained up for drug possession
- Adele jumps 46 spots, gives The Beatles a run for their money
- The Strokes to release another song March 1, excuse us while we scream like little girls
- Ex-Stereophonics drummer’s widow leads crusade against “vodka diet”
- James Franco and Mila Kunis are off to see the Wizard
- Red Hot Chili Peppers’ working title for new album inspired by a “friend’s” acid trip. Sure.
- The most musical baby ever has been born
- Arcade Fire continues to take over the world
- New Kanye video inspired by some French dude. Who knew?
- Ashley Greene responds to boyfriend Joe Jonas’ birthday gift with screams
- How does Eminem outdo the “Love The Way You Lie” video? By casting a porn star of course.
- Kanye and Drake crash the All-Star Game, Rihanna doesn’t wear pants
- Music exec talks shit about the GRAMMYs. In the New York freakin’ Times.
Following her record-breaking rack up of eight MTV VMA’s for her single “Bad Romance” and collaboration with Beyoncé on “Telephone,” Lady Gaga gave fans a taste of what’s to come when she belted out lyrics to her future single, “Born This Way” at the podium: “I’m beautiful in my way, because God makes no mistakes, I’m on the right track, baby I was born this way.” The reigning Queen of Pop was escorted by three discharged US soldiers to her big night, a move made to raise awareness for the repeal of the controversial Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy employed by the US armed forces. There’s no mistaking the pointed message of the song, but was it also a call to action to her fellow superstars?
It comes at the heels of a national string of gay suicides, most recently Tyler Clementi, the 18-year-old Rutgers student who leapt to his death after his roommate used a webcam to film him having homosexual sex. Clementi’s suicide was the fourth time in four weeks that gay youth suicide made headlines, prompting big reactions from some serious stars.
Ellen DeGeneres, Cyndi Lauper, Wendy Williams, Aubrey O’Day, Ke$ha, Ashley Tisdale, Leanne Rimes, Jason Derulo, Joe Jonas, Jewel and Eve are just a few of the stars who have lent their time and their stories in personal video messages directed at teens struggling with their sexuality and its harsh repercussions. Also reportedly in the works is a special episode of hit show, Glee that will broach the subject of bullying and tolerance.
Rumors are swirling that Pink, this year’s recipient of the Ally For Equality Award at the Human Rights Campaign’s 14th annual National Dinner in Washington, DC, will actually marry a gay couple in her next video, Raise Your Glass.
With today being National Coming Out Day, it seems that finally, the art reflects the time and artists and fans are uniting to be heard.
Cortney Wills is a pop culture journalist born and raised in Los Angeles, California. She has lived in LA, Chicago and NYC and enjoys all things entertainment.
2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced
Champagne’s a flowin’ at the homes of Bon Jovi, Neil Diamond, Alice Cooper, Tom Waits, LL Cool J and Dr. John, who among others, were all nominated into the 2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this week. The induction ceremony will take place on March 14th in Cleveland, Ohio. We would like an Alice Cooper/Neil Diamond duet please ¦ to whoever is taking requests.
Joe Jonas is ridin’ solo
Following in his little bro’s footsteps, or maybe heeding the advice of Jason Derülo, Joe Jonas announced plans to record a solo all by himself. Something with a sexier, Justin Timberlake vibe, says the Middle One. Sexier than Camp Rock? Can it be done? We’ll all find out in 2011¦
Mariah Carey falls in Singapore
If you’re gonna fall, fall with class. Like Mariah Carey, who took a tumble in Singapore but smiled the whole way down. Then things got a little more diva-ish when Carey yelled for her assistant to come help her take her shoes off while the band kept playing Make It Happen. Check it out below.
Katy Perry avenges her Sesame Street snub
On SNL this past weekend, Katy Perry avenged her Sesame Street-banned bust by donning a low-cut Elmo t-shirt and bouncing around on a sofa. Those muppets must be seeing red!
MC Hammer starts beef with Jay Z
This would be funny if it weren’t so sad. Back story: On Kanye West’s song So Appalled, Jay-Z delivers a line about blowing through $30,000 like Hammer. Well, Mr. MC Hammer was none too pleased about that, and responded on Twitter by linking to a video of himself beating up a punching bag. You want my attention [Jigga] you got it. Punch, punch, punch. It’s all kind of embarrassing and feeble, but we’ll play along. Please Hammer, don’t hurt him!
- Kanye West to drop new album on 11/22
- Pete Doherty busted for cocaine possession
- Daft Punk’s Tron Legacy soundtrack drops 11/22
- MGMT drummer gets hit in head by thrown object, walks off stage
- Lady Gaga’s grandfather passes away from Parkinson’s
- Peaches brings Peaches Christ Superstar to North America
- Jimmy Eat World new album Invented released
- John Legend and the Roots cover Arcade Fire
- Kid Cudi pleads guilty to possessing a jar (!) of cocaine
- Wyclef Jean hospitalized for exhaustion
- Bruce Springsteen photo bombs couple’s engagement shoot
- M.I.A. to play free show at Brooklyn Bowl