OK Go team up with Muppets on Muppets Theme Song
This week the Muppet’s The Green Album was released, along with this video to the theme song featuring OK Go. Feast your eyes on a bounty of Technicolor existentialism, wherein the Muppets send the band back to their treadmills and their Rube Goldberg machines and treat them like the puppets they are. It’s not like a kind of torture to have to watch this show.
West Memphis 3 released from prison
In 1994, three teenagers were convicted of the murder of three young boys in West Memphis, Arkansas, largely due to the fact that they listened to heavy metal. And even though DNA evidence emerged in 2007 that linked one of the victim’s stepfather and his friend to the crime, the trio”known as the West Memphis 3”remained imprisoned. The case attracted the attention of many celebrities, most notably Johnny Depp and Eddie Vedder, who have both campaigned for the release of the WM3. With news that the trio were finally set free this week after eighteen years in prison, band members from Pearl Jam, Anthrax, and Dixie Chicks took to Twitter to celebrate. You can read all about it here.
Jerry Leiber and Nick Ashford pass away
Two legendary songwriters, Jerry Leiber and Nick Ashford, passed away this week. Leiber, who wrote perennial hits like Hound Dog Yakety Yak, and Stand By Me with songwriting partner Mike Stroller, passed away at the age of seventy-eight in Los Angeles. Ashford penned some of the greatest songs of the Motown era with his songwriting partner and wife, Valerie Simpson, including Ain’t No Mountain High Enough and Ain’t Nothing Like The Real Thing Baby. He passed away at the age of seventy in New York. R.I.P.
Pit Bull sued by Lindsay Lohan
Pit Bull probably felt like he was just stating a fact when he said I got it locked up like Lindsay Lohan on his song Give Me Everything. Lohan didn’t think it was too funny, and slapped a lawsuit on the rapper, claiming the lyric does irreparable harm to her reputation. We would say this is another one of her megalomaniacal schemes to stay relevant and make some money while remaining unemployed by Hollywood, but we don’t want to get sued. So we will just think it quietly to ourselves.
Mexican teens auction off virginity for Justin Bieber
After some Mexican teens failed to secure tickets to an upcoming Justin Bieber concert, they took a sharp left into Disturbia and offered to trade their virginity for a ticket on Facebook. We once paid money for a ticket to see Vanilla Ice and it has haunted us for years. This seems like slightly more regrettable action.
Miley Cyrus tops Rolling Stone‘s worst covers list
The artist formerly known as Hannah Montana singing Smells Like Teen Spirit sent icy shivers up the spine of Rolling Stone‘s editorial staff, who named Miley Cyrus’ cover the absolute worst in the whole history of the universe, ever, ever. She probably feels pretty stupid (and contagious).
- Amy Winehouse toxicology report reveals no illegal drugs
- Rod Steward becomes a grandfather
- Lady Gaga, Adele, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars to perform at VMAs
- Jay-Z and Kanye hold down the throne on Billboard
- Listen to Ke$ha on Alice Cooper’s What Baby Wants
- Florence + The Machine release new song and video on Web site
- Lady Gaga to guest star on The Simpsons
- Motown label exec Esther Gordy Edwards dies
- Kelly Clarkson robbed by album leak
- Sean Preston gets onstage with mom during Columbus, OH gig
- Eminem and Royce Da 5’9 collab with Bruno Mars on Lighters
- Lil Wayne to release Tha Carter IV after VMAs
- QOTSA’s Josh Homme and Spinerette’s Brody Dalle welcome son
- Liam Gallagher sues brother Noel for libel
- Lil Wayne busts head at skate park, gets nine stitches