Rapper, entrepreneur, philanthropist, and social media kingpin 50 Cent recently weighed in on Obama’s backing of same sex marriages. In an interview with XXLMag, 50 Cent stated that he supported the President’s decision, saying, “I think everyone should be happy. You know, I think a fool is going to go against same sex marriage at this point.”
50 joins a growing list of rappers including T.I., Jay-Z, and Nicki Minaj who have all condemned opposition to same sex lifestyles. “What people do in their own homes is their business and you can choose to love whoever you love. That’s their business,” Hova said in an interview with CNN. “[It] is no different than discriminating against blacks. It’s discrimination plain and simple.”
The reaction to Obama’s comments would appear to follow a trend in hip-hop of more openness and anti-homophobia. Blog-hyped rapper Lil B made waves in April of 2011 with the announcement of his full length LP “I’m Gay (I’m Happy).” Up and comer A$AP Rocky also made his stance on homosexuality clear in a piece from Complex Magazine, saying, “I used to be fucking homophobic. That shit is ignorant. You will lose a lot of time and friendship being homophobic.” Rappers stating indifference to homosexuality is one thing. But hip-hop’s historically homophobic image makes recent comments from rappers like these all the more remarkable.
Watch the full clip of 50 Cent talking to XXLMag below.
EMI’s charity auction for Japan raises $940,000
A jacket worn by Chris Martin on Coldplay’s Viva La Vida Tour, a 1987 Ferrari owned by Daft Punk and a cupcake trampoline from Katy Perry’s current California Dreams Tour were just a few items that raised a chunk of change for EMI’s charity auction for Japan. Held on eBay, the auction raised $470,000, which was matched by EMI to the tune of $940,000. Biggest seller? An original Birkin bag used by Jane Birkin, which fetched a whopping $163,000. Possibly the most irrelevant item up for bid? A day on tour with Simple Minds”which would be great, you know, if it were 1985.
Dude Photoshops Justin Bieber on other dude’s photos
Oh that David Thorne. Always up to something. When his colleague, Simon Dempsey, went to lunch, David snuck into his file of stock images and Photoshopped Justin Bieber’s face onto the lot of them. Heated emails, name calling and a formal complaint ensued. We hope HR called David into the office and gave him a promotion simply for creating Bieber Beans.
50 Cent debuts new comedy site
50 Cent launched a new comedy site, ThisIs50Comedy.com, hosted by G-Unit comedian Young Jack Thriller. So, it’s definitely a site, but we’re not sure about the comedy part. The first video is a tour of Thriller’s house, where he points out all the places where he, uh, “has relations” and then shows us where he poops. (Spoiler alert”it was a toilet.) We love NSFW as much as the next guy, but Thriller is crass without being original. Next.
Poly Styrene from X-Ray Spex dies from breast cancer
Influential punk icon Poly Styrene, real name Marianne Joan Elliott-Said, succumbed to breast cancer this week. The singer rose to fame in the band X-Ray Spex before embarking on a solo career. She was 53. R.I.P.
Will.i.am says condoms are a turn off
You know what turns Will.i.am off? Finding condoms in a woman’s house. Or not finding baby wipes. So said the Black Eyed Peas front man to Elle Magazine.
You know what turns us off? Most of his lyrics, especially these.
Lil B receives death threats after announcing album title
Bay area rapper Lil B is getting it from both sides after announcing he’ll name his next album I’m Gay. GLAAD is a little ticked because Lil B is not, in fact, gay. Then there are wild homophobes who are ticked at the thought that he might indeed be gay. Lil B told MTV News that he’s received death threats after making his announcement, despite the fact he meant gay as in happy. People, the dude has a song called I’m Miley Cyrus. Isn’t that a more culturally divisive claim?
- Killer Mike and Big Boi reconcile
- Beyoncé’s Move Your Body video debuts
- 50 Cent and David Guetta release Bullshit & Party
- The Voice makes big debut
- Beyoncé sued for $1 million by video game company
- Fact: there’s an official Justin Bieber singing toothbrush
- Eminem, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Muse co-headline Lollapalooza
- Dr Dre teaming up with Chrysler for a Beats By Dre sound system
- Kid Cudi changes record label, band name
- Nicki Minaj and Ke$ha remix “Till The World Ends”
- The Lonely Island recruit big names for new album
- Rolling Stone‘s Do You Wanna Be A Rock Star contest down to final four
- Muse’s Matt Bellamy and Kate Hudson officially engaged
- Kings of Leon and Band of Horses to embark on world’s most hirsute tour
- Songwriter Phoebe Snow passes away
- Was Lil B deciding to name his album I’m Gay being disrespectful or just…happy?
- RIP Hazel Dickens.
- Grace Potter can do no wrong, including covering Beyoncé.
- Kings of Leon have a busy summer ahead of them.
- Taking bets on Lollapalooza headliners, lineup due out at midnight.
- Having a music festival app is good and all…until your phone dies on the second day in the middle of a field.
- Prince doesn’t want his songs covered. Ever.
- Charlie Sheen now accepting applications for Goddess #3.
- Britney Spears cuts the crap.
- It’s the end of an era.