Portlandia: Season 2 to feature gads of rock stars
Clear your schedules or set your DVRs on January 6. Portlandia is coming back for round two, and this time Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein are recruiting some of their famous musician buds for some hi-larious cameos. Johanna Newsom, Isaac Brock, Eddie Vedder, Johnny Marr and St. Vincent’s Annie Clark are all scheduled to make funnies. Check out the new promo below.
R. Kelly strikes again
Famous for penning lines like OK cool, climax, just get off of my legs and I like the crotch on you, it’s obvious that no one will be handing R. Kelley the Nobel Prize in Literature anytime soon. But that shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the rapper’s first tome: Soula Coaster: The Diary of Me. We repeat, the name of his book is Soula Coaster. And, judging by the cover, it’s about R. Kelly trying to levitate while being attacked by an army of microphones. This one’s going to be a real page-turner”if it ever sees the light of day.
Heavy D dead at forty-four
Sad news for hip hop fans this week. Rapper Heavy D, born Dwight Arrington Myers, died suddenly inside his Beverly Hills home on Tuesday. The cause of death is thought to be pneumonia-related respiratory issues. Heavy D and the Boys rose to fame in the early ˜90s with hits like Now That We Found Love and the theme song to the TV show In Living Color. The self-proclaimed overweight lover was forty-four. R.I.P.
Avril Lavigne involved in bar brawl
Avril Lavigne got roughed up at the Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles along with her boyfriend, Brody Jenner. Apparently Lavigne got into a verbal altercation with a female patron, which led to fisticuffs with an angry mob. The singer tweeted her injuries the next day, saying, Black eye, bloody nose, hair ripped out, scratches, bruises and cuts. So not OK to be abusive to others. Violence is NEVER the answer.
Pitbull countersuing Lindsay Lohan
Lawsuit? Two can play this game, sayeth Pitbull. The rapper is countersuing Lindsay Lohan, who is taking him to court for defamation of character. You know, for saying he had it locked up like Lindsay Lohan on his song, Give Me Everything. Pitbull claims it’s a totally legit lyric considering the venerable Ms. Lohan’s multiple jail stints. Snap.
- Michael Jackson’s deathbed up for auction
- Adam Lambert gets sued for appearing on American Idol
- Bieber’s Under the Mistletoe debuts at No. 1
- Billy Idol has surgery to fix malformed foot
- Radiohead announce US tour
- Michael Bolton says The Lonely Island made him breastfeed a doll
- Conrad Murray guilty of involuntary manslaughter
- Jamie Lynn Spears launches country music career
- Dr. Luke signs deal with Sony
- Did Robert Plant and Patty Griffin get hitched?
- “Stairway to Heaven” turns forty
Timberlake and Samberg edify audiences about The Golden Rule
What would a Justin Timberlake hosting gig on SNL be without a digital short with Andy Sandberg and some Cross Colours overalls? This latest masterwork introduces the helicopter technology into the art of lovemaking, and includes a very special musical guest. Oh, and if you stick around after the video is over, you’ll get to see Michael Bolton dressed as a pirate.
Mitch Winehouse resurrects music career
Mitch Winehouse, or Amy’s pop, is returning to a music career he left in the ˜70s in order to raise his children. The 61 year-old cab driver just released Rush of Love on Janey Records. The record features covers of jazz and lounge songs and four originals. None of which include the lyrics, I tried to make her go to rehab and she said no, no, no.
Beyoncé takes a page from Lorella Cuccarini for BMAs
Beyoncé took some heat this week when it was discovered that her multimedia performance at the Billboard Music Awards was suspiciously similar to a performance by Italian pop star Lorella Cuccarini. Beyoncé responded tout suite, saying she had seen Cuccarini’s performance and contacted the producers to collaborate with her on her own interactive video. Personally, we like Beyoncé’s video piece more, but with a hook borrowed from Major Lazer and a performance borrowed from Cuccarini, you can hardly call her innovative on this one. You can watch the two videos side by side below, thanks to the magical powers of the Internet.
Taylor Swift releases video for The Story of Us
Awkward run-ins with an ex are a rite of passage, one that’s captured by Taylor Swift on her new video for The Story of Us. The track is rumored to be inspired by her messy break-up with John Mayer. Hang down your head, John. Voyeurs can check out the video below.
Joseph Brooks commits suicide
Oscar-winning singer-songwriter Joseph Brooks, famous for his perennial ballad You Light Up My Life, died this week in what has been ruled a suicide by asphyxiation. Brooks was set to go to trial for thirteen counts of rape at the time of his death. He was 73 years old.
Mick Jagger forms supergroup
What do you get when you put Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart, Damian Marley, Joss Stone and A.R. Rahman in a room? Urdu-reggae-soul? Rasta-Bolly-Brit? We’ll all find out soon enough when the supergroup, dubbed Super Heavy, drops their LP in September.
- Lady Gaga’s Born This Way expected to sell 850,000 copies in first week
- Billie Joe Armstrong’s son, Joey, starts band
- Lenny Kravitz joins Hunger Games cast
- Alanis Morissette records anniversary song for husband
- Justin Bieber has a new tat
- Jason Trawick no longer Britney Spears’ agent
- Bono and The Edge to perform alongside Spiderman cast for American Idol finale
- Eminem and Bieber dominate Billboard Music Awards
- Scarlett Johannson and Massive Attack collaborating
- Pete Doherty sentenced to six months in jail
- Silverchair announce indefinite hiatus
- Vinnie Vincent arrested for assault
- Bon Iver album leaked through iTunes
- Gregg Allman to write memoir
- Phoenix frontman Thomas Mars and Sofia Coppola to marry this summer
- Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks releasing new album produced by Beck
- Sum 41’s Deryck Whibley collapses onstage in Japan
- Sit back and relax with a can of crazy, Paula Abdul is rejoining a judging panel.
- If Fantastic Mr. Fox gave Sufjan Stevens a mental breakdown, imagine what it did to the kids.
- Is Michael Bolton wearing makeup?
- R.I.P. Walker Brothers’ John Walker.
- Justin Bieber to clean up a stampede mess with a public service announcement.
- Well it’s about that time. Someone must die on Glee.
- LiveNation + Groupon = GrouponLive.
- Babies love Def Leppard.
- Taylor Swift says bullies are “Mean”. In other news, she’s also trying to be Mumford & Sons.
- We looked at this headline too fast and thought it read, “Jay-Z Being Sued By Egyptian Cotton.”
- Mother knows best, Chris Brown.
- Marg Helgenberger’s Wikipedia page better watch its back.