Federal Prism, the new record label from TV On The Radio‘s Dave Sitek and his partner Jeff Bowers, is trying a new approach to releasing music.
It’s become clear in recent years that where mass marketing was once the name of the game in the music biz, direct fan engagement is now the holy grail for artists and those labels interested in building careers. But how best to make that connection?
Federal Prism’s answer is thorough online interaction with fans. New music from their roster will now be released on SoundCloud prior to any retail release. Going even further, the label will offer select track stems (essentially deconstructed pieces of songs) for fans and other artists to hear and remix.
“The goal here is to allow listeners to participate fully in the creative and marketing process, in many cases prior to the commercial release,” said Bowers. “SoundCloud gives us an opportunity to break albums and singles with a completely new engagement strategy. Young producers and fans will have access to new music before it’s proper release, but more importantly they will have a unique opportunity to reinvent the track and interact directly with the producer and artist while doing so.”
Head over to their SoundCloud page starting today for the first such releases, including music from TV On The Radio, Oh Land, Chuck Inglish, Asher Roth, and more. And look for new releases soon from Sitek, Kelis, Scarlett Johansson, Stardeath, and the White Dwarves.
There must have been some pretty heavy rain fall early in the spring. How else do you explain the bumper crop of festivals that have sprung up this year in late August? In the past two weeks alone there have been three great hip-hop festivals; the venerable Rock The Bells Festival in New Jersey, the inaugural Made In America Festival in Philadelphia, and the eighth annual Afropunk Fest in Brooklyn.
The two former fests might have had some bigger names clogging up the lineups, sure. But this year’s Afropunk Fest really saw the event come into its own. With performances from big names Erykah Badu, TV On The Radio, Das Racist, and Janelle Monáe, to local favorites like Ninjasonik, Body Language, Phony Ppl, and featuring an art wall, a skate park, and breakdancing (!), Afropunk Fest definitely wins for coolest and (dare I say it) hippest outing.
Check out some exclusive images documenting the Afropunk festival weekend experience after the jump.
- TV on the Radio will soon be on the big screen.
- 10 bucks says James Franco plays Jeff Buckley in his upcoming biopic.
- Maybe her house just wasn’t on Gucci Mane’s way home.
- Emile Hirsch made a video about bodybuilding and shirtless dance-offs and scored it to a Daft Punk track. Maybe he was bored.
- Britney Spears and Rihanna start their own bad girls club.
- Never thought we’d see “Charlie Sheen” and “redeem” in the same headline.
- Dave Grohl has a thing for older ladies.
- Well that didn’t take long.
- The White Stripes final gig will be put out as a live album. Tear.
- Looks like John Cryer may have a secret stash of tiger blood of his own.
- Bob Dylan travels to Vietnam for the first time ever
- Bon Jovi to Steve Jobs: “You’re KILLING the music business”
- Hangout Festival is quickly becoming the coolest beach party ever
- NKOTBSB are continuing their merge into one giant, irrelevant man- band
- The 90’s also continues its resurgence with a new Limp Bizkit album
- We can practically picture some creep huddled in the fetal position on Madonna’s floor
- The Strokes new album Angles now streaming online
- Liam Gallagher gets “American friendly”
- Disney pulls the plug on what would have been a killer kids movie
- Rebecca Black’s 15 minutes
- Pete Wentz thanks Charlie Sheen
- TV on the Radio’s Gerard Smith fighting cancer
- It’s all happening for Pauly D
Ellen starts music label, signs Greyson Chance
OK, remember last week when we made up that big lie about wunderkind Greyson Chance being signed to Interscope? Kidding! Yeah, looks like that was just one of those Internet rumors. Sahhrrry. Chance was actually signed by Ellen DeGeneres ” he’ll be the first artist on her brand new label, Eleven Eleven Records. We’re not sure if Eleven Eleven is actually an imprint of Interscope or an indie, and until we’re sure, we’re not saying a word.
Ludacris builds playground for Atlanta school kids
That Luda, bless his heart. When he’s not going door-to-door reminding people to fill out their Census forms, he’s providing for the children. This past weekend the rapper joined volunteers to help construct a playground for Venetian Hills Elementary School in Atlanta. The charity event was a collaboration between KaBoom ” a national nonprofit that provides play areas to underserved areas ”The Ludacris Foundation, United Healthcare’s Do Good. Live Well campaign and EIF’s iParticipate program. Look, we knew how low he could go, we just never knew he was such do-gooder to boot . Hats off to you, Mr. Bridges.
Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato break up
Sniff. Sad. Moving on ¦
Lady Gaga tested for Lupus
Lady Gaga revealed to the London Times this week that she underwent testing for Lupus after collapsing from exhaustion and cancelling shows in March. But when it comes to the results of those tests, she’s keeping her lips sealed. I don’t want anyone to be worried, she explains. The singer lost an aunt to the disease, which is genetic and causes the body’s immune system to attack itself. Lucky for all of us little monsters, Lady Gaga is superhuman and immortal. That’s our story and we’re sticking to it.
Liza Minnelli sings Single Ladies for SATC2
Looks like Liza Minnelli will be croaking out Beyoncé’s hit in the new Sex and the City movie. According to SATC2 promos, the 64-year-old performer tackles the number during a wedding scene. And, since Minnelli has a brand new replacement knee, maybe she’ll even attempt to do the choreography, too. That would be infinitely better than watching the chicken dance.
Key of Awesome spoof Owl City in Electronic Wuss
Ugly for Owl City, but hilarious for the rest of us. Musical parody group, Key of Awesome, delivered a sonic smackdown to the maudlin vomit that is “Fireflies” with their spoof, Electronic Wuss. Enjoy.
- Kelis and Nas are officially divorced
- Britney has more followers than Ashton
- Justin Bieber and Soulja Boy collaborate on Rich Girl
- Bono recoups after spinal surgery, Gorillaz fill in
- Chris Brown strikes back in Deuces video
- Kelis and Robyn to tour together
- Slipknot bassist Paul Gray dead at 38
- TV on the Radio scores documentary The Lottery
- Mad Men’s Christina Hendricks to appear in new Broken Bells video