In a world where making a record is as easy as starring on reality TV, and even easier when you have your own show, Rebecca Black was bound to happen.
Don’t worry. Black, the fourteen-year-old from Anaheim, California, who made us wonder if she was making fun of shallow pop stars or being one herself in her viral YouTube video “Friday,” hasn’t gotten her own reality show. Yet. But isn’t it only just a matter of time?
What she does have is a level of fame”or infamy, depending on how you want to look at it”without having any discernible singing talent. Before it was yanked from YouTube in June over a dispute between Black and her former record label, Ark Music Factory, her “Friday” video had logged some 161 million views. Black became an Internet favorite, with article after online article devoted to her and her music”well, her song. Some people loved her; some people hated her; everyone was talking about her. Everybody’s still talking. Katy Perry even invited Black to costar in her “T.G.I.F. (Last Friday Night)” video.
Yes, Rebecca Black is a huge hit. Ironically, though, she has yet to have one. For all of the hoopla surrounding it, “Friday” was never a commercial success as a single. It peaked at No. 58 on Billboard’s Hot 100 and didn’t fare much better anywhere it was released.
Australia, one of the few places where “Friday” made it to the Top 40, is about to launch its own fourteen-year-old star, Jack Vidgen, recent winner of Australia’s Got Talent. Sadly, it’s gonna take a miracle”or maybe a Black cameo in his video”to give Vidgen’s career any momentum in the US, which Justin Bieber aside, has been resistant to young male solo pop (i.e., white) stars since Justin Timberlake went Hollywood.
- Cruella De Vil dissolves deal with Target. No, wait. That’s Gaga.
- Raekwon thinks Charlie Sheen is a rich dick. #notwinning
- Can we just give up on the Spiderman musical, already?
- Pete Wentz and Ashlee Simpson battle for custody of son. Either way, child is destined for a future in pop-punk.
- Chris Brown done apologizing for “domestic mishap.” Is that what they’re calling it these days?
- Kim Kardashian’s lyrics are… awesome.
- Jadakiss remembers celebrating his birthday with Biggie. R.I.P.
- Ever wanted to know what Bieber would look like with facial hair? Yeah… neither have we.
- Paris Hilton’s new music to grace our ears with its presence
- She may not have been born at Number 1, but Lady Gaga’s singles are certainly living there
- Lil Kim and Nicki MInaj digitally duke it out
- Got some birthdays in da house!
- Ozzy Osbourne gets sentimental on Valentines Day
- The most devastated person by Wentz and Simpson’s breakup is… Mark Hoppus?
- Guns N’ Roses axe man “slash”ing prices on memorabilia
- Jim Morrison releases a record from beyond
- Bruno Mars behind bars?